Wednesday, March 28, 2007

IIM (B) hikes fees, others to follow

IIMB has raised its fee for the PGP program by Rs 75,000- from Rs 175,000 to Rs 250,000, rediff reports. Presumably this is the total charge (including lodging and boarding). IIMC is set to raise its fee from Rs 1,75,000 to Rs 200,000. I don't know whether this includes mess fees. Other IIMs are to follow. I think it would be a good idea if the IIMs follow a common format in declaring fees and fee increases. They should indicate which component of the total charge has been raised and how much the total charge goes up.

In other news, the Distance Education Council has allowed the IITs and IIMs to offer online courses. I'm a little surprised to hear about this "approval" because, to my knowledge, IIM- Kozhikode has long had such a program. IIMA offers a distance learning program in collaboration with NIIT. I don't know what the "approval" given is all about.

No comments: